Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dr. Seuss in Afghanistan

I am Uncle Sam, Uncle Sam-I-am

There are times I do not like that Uncle Sam-I-am.
He said, do you like Afghanistan where they serve green eggs and ham.

I do not like it Uncle Sam-I-am.
I do not like where they serve green eggs and ham.

Would you like it here or there?  Afghanistan or Iraq?

I would not like it here or there.
I would not like it anywhere.
I do not like fighting in these wars
I do not like it when my feet are sore.
I do not like it Uncle Sam-I-am.

Would you like the war if you fought in a house?
Would you like the war if you were trapped like a mouse?

I do not like war in a house.
I do not like being trapped like a mouse.
I do not like it here or there.
I do not like it anywhere.
I do not like fighting where they serve green eggs and ham.
I do not like it, Uncle Sam-I-am.

Would you like your food if it came in a box?
Would you eat your food in a hole like a fox?

Not in a box, not with a fox.
Not in a house, not trapped like a mouse.
I would not like war here or there,
I would not like it anywhere.
I would not like green eggs and ham,
I do not like war, Uncle Sam-I-am.

Would you? Could you?  Fight from a car?
Bad guys!  Bad guys! Here they are.

I would not like to fight from a car,
With V shaped hulls we still see stars.

You might like to fight you see;
What if we let you fight from a tree?
I would not want to fight from a tree.
Not in a car, please let me be!

Not in a box, not with a fox
Not in a house, not trapped like a mouse.
I do not like war here or there,
I do not like war anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham,
I do not like war, Uncle Sam-I-am.

Could you, would you on a logistics train?

I do not want to fight on a train! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! I would not want to fight in a box!
I could not, would not, with a fox,
Not in a box, not with a fox,
Not in a house, not trapped like a mouse,
Not here nor there nor anywhere!

In the dark?  Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, fight in the dark?

I would not want to fight in the dark

Would you, could you fight in the rain?

I would not want to fight in the rain.
Not in the dark, not in a train,
Not in a car, not in a tree,
I would not like to fight, you see.

But fight you do, said Uncle Sam-I-Am

If you do not want to fight on a train! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! If you could not, would not fight in box,
Not in a house, where you are trapped like a mouse.
Not here nor there nor anywhere,
Not in the dark, not in the rain,
Why do you fight this fight just the same?

What I want and wish and hope to be,
Is left behind for freedom you see.
So in the dark up in a tree,
I fight a force that won’t let us be.

My children are home all snug in their beds,
Safe in my house, not trapped like a mouse.
I leave my home so far away
To go here, to go there, to go anywhere.

In the dark and in the rain,
I serve my country who suffers pain.
I yield a charge to set men free,
So each one can choose what he will be.

While I do not like war Uncle Sam-I-Am
I will fight to the death to stand my ground

In a box, just like a fox,
When in a house and trapped like a mouse
I will fight here, I will fight there.
I will fight the enemy anywhere.
I still do not like green eggs and ham.
But I will fight this war Uncle Sam-I-am.


~ In your service
John P


Praying for the 18

No comments: