Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Been a while

It has been a while since I have written, We are still here. The days have gotten longer. I get up with the sun shining and go to my room with it still shining. The sunlight hours are from around 0500 till 1800 (6 pm). We have been working to ensure things are ready for our return home.

So two weeks ago I ran 8 miles at a snail’s pace. I decided that I would continue this 8 mile adventure every week until we leave. So this last Saturday we ventured out. It was HOT. We began our run and I felt great, the air, the dust, the car exhaust smoking me out as I struggled for a fresh breath. At the three mile point, I was losing steam; by 4 miles, I was completely finished. As I walked a little, ran a little, for the  4 miles back my mind began to wonder high up in the mountains where there is still visible snow. I wanted to cool off but couldn’t. I poured water on my head but it was not long before it had dried and I was back to being hot. 


Out of the group I run with, I still finished third but this run a little, walk a little is something I am not used to. This Saturday I will be more prepared. More water the day prior and perhaps some sun screen since my arms were a bit sunburned. Will I miss this place when I Ieave? I can say most definitely not. Will this be my last deployment? I hope so but probably not.

So as I sit here, road trip pending, thinking of home, I know that I have aged here. The day to day stresses are almost painful at times. The people here are hard to deal with, both the ones in uniform and the ones not. The units below me call on me to do the dirty work because they know that I am in this for them, but it has worn me down. It is TIME for the JAR TO BE EMPTY.


Praying for the 18

1 comment:

Me said...

I wish I could empty your jar for you big brother! We love you!