Sunday, November 27, 2005

Where in the world is small town USA?

I have been corresponding via email with a wonderful person who is much like me in many ways. I worked for her husband many years ago and now have found a new email pal. The following is an excerpt from one of her emails that makes me wonder what happened To Small town USA?

Even today, the people take food to the ones that don't have it, drive them to a doctor if needed, make repairs to their houses, and just generally see to the welfare of whoever needs help. It is small town America at its best and there are probably hundreds of towns that do the same things.

This is truly the meaning of small town USA. How many times have you been on the highway traveling and come across someone in need of help. Whether it be a tire repair or another vehicle repair. Do you stop? I do but only when I am alone. I sometimes feel that it is a danger to stop and render assistance to people but I know that I will be rewarded if there is no danger. I remember several years ago I stopped and helped a man change a tire on the hill leaving Brownwood. I noticed as I went by that an undercover police officer was pulled up beside a car with a flat. As I continued in the opposite direction something told me to turn around and go back. I did and to this day still reap the benefit of my assistance. As I pulled up behind the vehicle I noted that the other car was gone and that the older gentleman was struggling with the jack. I offered assistance and in no time had the tire replaced for them. The man’s wife and grandchild were in the car and they had shut it off because they were afraid it would fall off the jack. The lady was sweating and the grandchild did not look well. To this day I thank God for turning me around to render assistance and feel like the hand shake at the end was such a wonderful reward. As I recall the man offered payment and asked what he owed me. I told him a hand shake would do. What happened to people who were not afraid to help out someone in need. Small town USA has slowly disappeared. I am thankful that my father taught me compassion and love for my fellow man. I know that people today teach their children right and wrong but what happens after that. In an age where television is a big part of people’s lives maybe it is possible that we have come to fear society or people. Anyway I say this so next time you are flying down the highway enjoying the A/C and come across someone in need of help think one day it could be you in need. Bring back Small town USA ways of thinking and let’s make a difference one person at a time…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog was a wonderful tribute to the parents that raised you and taught you compassion and caring. I hope they saw it!

Recently, my neices were aided by a passing stranger after having had an accident near Lampasses, TX. The gentleman helped get their car going again and stayed with them until their parent could arrive to help them home again.

There are still some kind and caring people in this world and we should Thank God for that. It would be so nice if the media would report these kind of stories and less of the bad things that happen.