Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Kindness of the Turkish People


While on this road trip I had the opportunity to try some different foods. On the base I am currently on there is a group of Turkish people who work contracts for the government. They said that after being here for a while and eating the "American" food they could not stand it anymore. I told you that food was not good at the base I am on. Well the food is really terrible on this base.

On their small compound, almost hidden from the rest of the base, they constructed a brick oven and their own kitchen. When I was invited I was told that they make pizza each day for lunch. Well they don't always eat pizza for lunch. When we arrived we were greeted with a friendly smile and a hand shake by two very nice people. They directed us to a table where we sat and waited for our food like we were in a Five star restaurant. When the food came out it looked wonderful, it looked like a chef had carefully arranged it.

It was not until later that I found out that it actually was arranged by a chef hired to feed my new friends and their workers. The food was fabulous and I left there with a full belly. THIS was by far the best meal I have had in this miserable place. Thank you to the Turkish people and my new friends.

1 comment:

Me said...

If they take reservations, book them up for the next six months!! Hugs!