Monday, October 03, 2005

Reality hits home

The boots were placed ever so carefully at the sides of the weapon. The weapon had the bayonet attached and it was barrel down in the special built box. The butt of the weapon had the Kevlar helmet on it place ever so carefully. The base of the box had a picture of a soldier whom I did not know but was my brother. His Identification tags hung from the pistol grip of his rifle. Hearts ached today for this lost soldier. The first combat death of a solider in our unit since World War II. The sadness and reflection of life whistled through my thoughts like a raging wind. I remember stand in the early preparation looking out upon the battalion and wondering if we would all make it back. Trying to memorize the faces of the soldiers so that I would know them if something like this were to happen. As the chaplain spoke he quoted a verse that I love to use. “No Greater love hath a man than to lay down his life for a friend”. This county is full of our friends and we defend them but some do not understand it. I hope that his wife and two children know what their father has come to mean to the soldiers of this unit. I hope that his family will be able to overcome the grief that they suffer and will manage to carry on with life. We will keep his memory alive as I am sure that his family will. The ceremony was really an awesome send off to a real soldier. TAPS was played and tears welled up in the eyes of soldiers. We have feelings too. The twenty-one gun salute did not startle us as it would have before our adventure began. Our senses numbed by the noises of this place in which we live. We see what we are here for and know why we are here and we know first hand that soldiers die here. The somber mood of the ceremony carried through for several hours afterwards. The sad reality of death was noted by all and this soldier’s memory will not be forgotten. I salute him and hope that he is seated with the Father in complete righteousness. Pray for his family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read of the loss of a soldier from your unit! You wrote beautifully of your feelings and the thoughts it generated. I had convinced myself that you were in some safe place, far away from the actual combat. I know that is not realistic, but I wanted so badly to belive it, I just did. I pray that you will return to this country before long and mostly I pray, God Bless and keep you safe.