Monday, October 18, 2010

Jerry's Excellent Adventure.. part 2

Sunday is kind of a slow down for the unit. We still have some jobs that must be done but most people try to take it slow on Sundays. Since I traveled on Sunday I got the feel for the area. It is truly in the middle of the desert. There is nothing around the base except desert. Off in the distance you can see a town/city/village. Not sure which one they call it. It appears to be fairly large but cannot tell and since there is a Taliban presence I have no urge to venture out there for a better look. I am good right here inside the wire. 

So over the next few days we identify the fact that the last unit left us with numerous issues to clear up. The main person who caused these issues is best described as a "kid with Daddy's credit card in the mall for the first time". He was ordering/buying for everyone on the base. His record keeping skills.... Well did not exist. In fact there was talk of recalling him back to theater to clean this up. But would you want an idiot trying to help fix something he messed up. NOT ME.. So we developed a tracker. 

We talked with the Contracting offices and the Theater office and got an idea of what shipments have been ordered and are in bound. There is a lot of "stuff" on the way in that was paid for with last year's funding. After getting the poor unfortunate supply Sgt. lined out on what needs to be done and giving the "Cluster O' Colonels"  a briefing on how to fix the unit's property errors, as well as having a talk with another "Light Colonel" about the same issues, I am ready to get back to my own bed.. or at least the one that I will occupy for the next 9 months or so. 

That afternoon I report to the terminal with one thing on my mind. I want to fly on a smaller helicopter, if possible. A black hawk is a lot smaller and has been on my "bucket list" for a long time. I have been told stories such as people get sick from all of the movement of these smaller air craft. Not me, this was a great experience. The flight back seems to take forever and there were times when I actually thought the engine had changed pitch and we might be "going down". 


At one point high above the desert floor. I saw God's wonder in this country. It was an awe moment for sure and lucky for all it was a Kodak moment. The picture was taken at about 1800 hours local time from roughly 7 thousand feet. At one point I had begun to think God was not allowed in this country as he is not allowed in our schools back home but you can clearly see in this picture he is here with us...

This was a Good week.......


1 comment:

Me said...

What a beautiful view!!!