Friday, October 22, 2010

There's no place like home

(More from my friend John P)

Here is a little something you can ponder on today.  Dorothy, from the Wizard of Oz, might have had it right when she said, “there’s no place like home.”   Home is a very interesting concept from my Afghanistan point-of-view.  We have all heard the old clichés; home is where the heart is, home is where you feel loved, or home is where you go when all your work is done.

I am a staff officer in the United States Army.  I am paid to sit behind a desk and take care of administrative…“stuff.”  My day is filled with routine, and monotony remains my greatest battle.  Yet without the repetitive action of soldiers like me, this massive machine we call the military would not work.  Each morning, my life consists of reporting to my desk where I faithfully perform my duties.  As I do, I often consider the lives of our combat soldiers.  Like me, these men wake up every morning.  Unlike me, they strap on 50 pounds of gear, mount up on their vehicles, and go out to face our enemy.

Day after day these amazing soldiers place their lives on the line.  The mental fatigue that they work under is unfathomable.  As soldiers try to determine who is the ally and who is the enemy, the stress of combat compounds.  The young Afghan boy who grins and waves today could well be the one that fires a rocket propelled grenade at you tomorrow.  Adding insult to injury, these men live with the memory of friends who at one time walked by their side through the battlefield.  Some have been killed in action, many have been physically maimed, while others have been mentally wounded and sent home.  These warriors try to act tough and they pretend that it doesn’t bother them.  But, late at night I can hear them as they shed the hard tears of broken men.  How do we as soldiers keep going?  How do we not give up?

We carry on because we know a simple truth.  We know that this battlefield is just a temporary home.   While stationed in Afghanistan, we will do great things for our country.  We know however, that soon all our work will be done and we will go to our real home; where our heart is.

Does any of this make sense to you?  Can you see the connection?   I know that each of you live in your own personal war zone.  Every day you wake up and put on your battle gear.  Maybe it’s a hard hat or a business suit, a briefcase or an apron, either way; you go into your own battle.  You are physically confronted with people who wave at you in the hall and then as you turn the corner they attack you from behind with hateful words and actions.  This is also true in the spiritual realm.  The bible tells us, that like the soldier, we face an enemy who wishes to steal, kill and to destroy us. If you let him, this enemy will use the selfish nature of people to steal your joy.  Then, while you are down he will use things like the abuse of alcohol or the false comfort of inappropriate relationships to destroy you.

Think about it.  Can’t you recall friends who once walked by your side through the battlefield of life.  Some, the enemy has killed in action; many have been spiritually maimed, while others have been emotionally wounded and have quit trying.  So, how do you keep going?  How can I encourage you not to give up?

There is a verse from the bible that I really like.  It is found in 2 Peter 1:5-8 “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive…”  Go out there, be effective, be productive, make a difference in this battlefield we call life.

Billy Graham once said, “My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world.”  This same thought was echoed in a song performed by Carrie Underwood.  The chorus says:

This is my temporary home
It's not where I belong
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through This is just a stop, on the way to where I'm going I'm not afraid because I know this is my Temporary Home."

As soldiers, we are committed to doing great things as we pass through our temporary Afghan home.  I challenge you to do great things as you pass through this temporary home we call life.

I close with a thought that I have often shared with my children.  This thought may prove to be the greatest advice that I have ever given anyone.  It applies to relationships, jobs, church and to every other aspect of your life.    “Leave it better than you found it.”

1 comment:

Marge & Doug said...

Thank you - for serving our country, for encouraging others both in uniform and here at home, and for painting word pictures that enable us to "see" a glimpse of everyday life in Afganistan. We pray for safety for our troops daily, and for you specifically. Love you, Marge & Doug