Saturday, October 16, 2010

Jerry's Excellent Adventure.. part I

Beep beep, beep, time to rise and shine. I did not sleep a wink. I was too busy thinking about today's upcoming events. It is 4 am, quick shower, bags packed, journey begins soon. Check in at the terminal then sneak away for my early morning drug.... COFFEE.....
When they called my id, I respond with "here". Soon it will be time to go. In my 22 years of military service I have had three opportunities to do what will finally today become a reality.  We board the bus for a short trip down the runway. Today's ride, purely by choice, what looks like a bus with propellers on top. A Chinook helicopter... I believe it to be the largest helicopter in the Army's fleet, but not really sure. After arranging us passenger in order by last stop to first stop, we board this rickety looking bus.  First the engines start and the thing shakes like it is coming apart, kind of like a lawnmower with a bent blade from when your oldest son hit a tree stump with it - Oh, where was I? It shook, it shimmied and I was a bit nervous, then without warning straight up we went. Wow, what a feeling!
All three gunners actively scan the area for any threats until we are at a safe altitude. The mountains surround us and I wonder if a Rocket Propelled Grenade RPG could hit us from them. The trip is a courtesy trip to help out my unit down south. We were left with an ugly waste of tax payers' dollars to clean up and the unit needs guidance. My lack of sleep the night before this trip can be attributed to thoughts of "Blackhawk Down". Helicopter crash on the news, young - OK, old  soldier on a mission to help out his unit, crash lands in a helicopter and has to fight his way back to safety. It would make a great movie but thank God I arrived safely.
As we are flying over the country I am inspired by the beauty of this place and wonder how God could let these people suffer through all of these years of war. Will they ever know the feeling of freedom, as defined by you and me, or will they always be oppressed. God can save them but they do not believe in him. (Maybe some do.) Their homes are built into the walls that surround their property. At one point I was reminded of Long Beach CA. The box houses built practically one on top of each other going up the hillside much like the homes, on the coast surrounding Long Beach. The big difference is no color, mostly desert tan homes made of mud or adobe or something. Some of the houses are white but very few. From my perch high above I can see people moving around but none really seem to have a purpose except for the occasional goat herder. Is this the reason they plant bombs? I heard that the Taliban will pay money for attacks on American Soldiers. What would you do to support your families if you too lived in a poverty stricken nation? One of my soldiers told me that the kids in these communities beg for pens and pencils, when they go out. Not so they can use them but so they can sell them.  What happens when we leave and there are no soldiers left for them to kill? Back to extreme poverty?

As we fly I am impressed by a young Army SGT, as he sits at his perch. With his tether in place, he lowers the back ramp of the helicopter and then walks out to the Edge of the ramp and flops down with his feet dangling high above the country side. Altitude was probably about 3 thousand feet, not me no thanks I am securely strapped to my seat. We make a couple of stops and then arrive at my destination. What a ride!

No comments: