Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fathers and sons


19 August 2010


This was written by an eldest son to his dad. By simple substitution, it could be from a mother to a son, a wife to a husband, a sister to a brother. It is a powerful statement. (editor)


“I really do think about you all the time and miss you. It's a lot harder you leaving this time for some reason. It might be because I was selfish last time and didn't think about it. I know I don't really express to you all the time but I admire everything you do. You always do so much for everybody and sacrifice all you have for us. Everybody asks me all the time why you don't just quit the Army so you won't have to leave again, and I just think to myself that you don't do it because you like to or because of your country. I know you honestly, do it for your family and that's what I love about you the most. When you said in your blog that "I am a stand up father", it is because you taught me how to be. You taught me how to do everything for my family and not complain. How to just keep on working hard for your family and eventually someone will take notice and it will pay off. You truly are the best dad I could ever ask for and thank you for that. I love you Dad.”
Thank God I read this before there were other soldiers in the office, because even Soldiers Cry . . I love my family, and Russ got it right except, I do it for my family, but I also do it for my country, for those people who don't understand, like the high school kids who talk down on our military or the protesters, and for my brothers who have died in the fight to keep our country free. But let them all know, if it was not for the Blood of the American Soldier, that the people of America would more than likely be speaking a different Language....

No comments: