Thursday, August 19, 2010

Just a small one, but it helped

July 28, 2010 (Delayed due to . . . )

I have ignored Him for a while but God spoke to me today….
I saw it coming as I sat in the Airport in Minneapolis waiting for the next flight. I saw him, a young soldier, maybe 20 or 21 years old, his girlfriend clinging tightly to his arm. From a distance I could imagine what was going through her head and what she might have been saying, “don’t go, just stay a little while longer.” Having been there myself, I knew it was coming, coming like a volcano of emotion churning, burning, bubbling its way to the top. The boarding call, then eruption, the tears began to flow. I heard God today. After he began the long, hopeless walk to the gate, God told me to talk to him. I stepped up beside him and did what any one of my brothers would do. I lied. I lied and told him “it gets easier over time”, when in fact it doesn’t. You can ask any soldier what pains him and they will tell you that one of the worst things is returning from Leave. I ask the young soldier where he was from. He told me about 45 miles from the airport. I asked if he was returning from leave he said yes. I told him “You know, it could always be worse, you could be in my shoes. “ Oh, really,”  he said, “ how is that?” I said, “I am on Day 360 of my one year count down.” A smile crested from below the tears. By the time we boarded the plane through the hoard of people, his eyes were dry and he was smiling and me, well my heart was heavy and missing home.

Sacrifices….

1 comment:

Me said...

I bet he will never forget you for your kindness.