Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kites, brown skies and movie theaters

August 17, 2010

I was walking to the PX the other day and saw something out of the corner of my eye. It seemed so out of place, a bright shining thing in the middle of a colorless place. As I tracked it with my eyes I had to stop, I realized it was a kite. It was being flown on the other side of the wall, probably, a kid having some fun here in the desolation.  It looked so peaceful up there in the BROWN sky. It made me think if I had a bunch of Kites to take out to the kids then maybe they (the kids and their Parents) would be nice to us for the year that we are here, it made me think of the freedom bird heading home. Man it is definitely too early in my "vacation" to be thinking about this. Home, Rosario, Todd, Russ, Jessica and those wonderful grandkids, and cold beer and did I mention home and cold beer, the brightly colored clothes and the people who have no idea what we do or why we do it.


My dad sent me an email with a picture of troops standing at attention in an Iraqi palace that had been converted into a movie theater for the troops. The theater, as do all MILITARY movie theaters, was presenting the National Anthem before the main feature. He told me of a parade where he was the only one to stand and respect the colors for which many have fought and died. Why do we do this? I guess it is for the “Proud to be Americans,” like Brenda, who said "I want you and all your friends with you, know that I do appreciate what you are doing for me and my freedom."  Thank a soldier but, most importantly, thank God for our Military..

No comments: