Saturday, August 14, 2010

Welcome to the ADVENTURE Part II

15 July 2010

We are at Ft McCoy in Wisconsin. We have been here for about 3 days the goodbye still fresh on my mind. I was standing in formation when it hit me; A thought that I just could not shake. As the Brigade Commander spoke I was overcome by the thought that if I did not get just one more kiss from my wife I would not make it back for another. That thought,  never coming back.  I motioned to her while standing in formation and as we marched in single file to the bus I got my one last kiss and thus ended the feeling. What a pain in the heart that was.
Being a member of the brigade it seems like a never-ending series of meetings and questions. There are LOTS of people here I have respect for, but there are a couple who have made life difficult already. Some look to the Chief for guidance and some just do what they want and then wonder why things are so messed up. We will get this done-  we will grow over the next year. I look forward to hearing from all of you in the future. As I told Rosario, Russ and Todd before I left, it is only a Year.

Side note: Non military families do not understand the sacrifices of the ones left behind. My wife and children are the ones who suffer more that anyone could ever imagine. They must do things by themselves and live without their spouse. My oldest son drove away with tears in his eyes, his new wife was teary eyed as well because, I think, she could feel his pain. “Dad you had better come home,” he told me as we said our goodbyes.  Imagine the heartache and hardships that will be faced by the families of our unit over the next year or so then………THANK A MILITARY SPOUSE FOR THEIR SERVICE, TOO…….

No comments: