Saturday, August 14, 2010

Today was a good day.

11 August 2010

I am still here, still breathing and the Texas “boys” are almost here. I came early to get some things set up and I think I have done okay with it so far. I am kind of missing my friends, the ones I work with and that is what makes this even harder. The phone calls home are what I look forward to the most. Just talking to my wife. She is on her way to Houston with two of her sisters and a brother-n-law. Right now, as I sit in my room, I am reminded of my time in Abilene during tornado season. The thunder outside and the whistle of the wind past the door make it okay to be here right at this second because my mind is home.

Earlier today I took my laundry to the turn in point, there are no washers here for the soldiers to use.  When he asked me the last four of my social I gave it to him. Then I asked him to say it in his language. I repeated it with my best Texas accent and got a laugh from all of the Local Nationals (LN) in the room. I kept repeating it until I had it close to his dialect.  Esch stadado Esch stadado. (8282)I have always had the gift of gab. I remember one time checking out in a grocery store and starting up a conversation with the cashier, the conversation about the weather or dinner or nothing really in particular. On the way out the door, Todd, my youngest son, asked me, “Did you know that person?” I said,” no but why do I have to know someone to talk to them.”  Are we teaching our children to be withdrawn? Why did he ask this question that to me seemed so strange of him to have asked.

Update on family, since I last wrote in 2005 I made it to Warrant Officer School and have since been promoted to CW2. My oldest son finally got away from the girl he was with. They finally figured out that it was not going to work, but in the process brought two children into this world. I love my grandkids with all of my heart. They are very special to me and I have to say that Russ is a stand up father. He took “himself” to court to get the court ordered child support to make sure he was allowed to see his kids. There was a point when the kids’ future was uncertain first the “baby mama” threatened to move to Florida and then California. “No, NO, NO!” said the court system. Thank God.

Todd is now 13 going on 25. He is the man of the house while I am gone this time. He spends lots of time lost in Books. He likes video games too but he,  for the most part, manages to get a good balance of both. He has a GIRLFRIEND, who he likes very much, I can tell. She lives in Merkel where we used to live 4 years ago now. He has been there through everything that Russ was put through by the “baby mama” and has been told things like “see what happens” and “don’t let that happen to you”. Maybe he understands and maybe he doesn’t. Only time will tell.

Well, now up to date:  Russ married a nice girl from Abilene. She is very strong willed and has a good heart. She and Russ are a good match. They were married just before  I left.  Thank God I got to be there. They moved from San Angelo to Abilene where they are both working full time and preparing for the arrival of a little baby girl. I am so happy for them. I love all of my kids and grandkids dearly and would do anything for them, even deploy to a foreign country.

Rosario, the love of my life, the one who taught me who I am. She is still as beautiful as ever. She still puts up with my crap on occasion as I put up with hers but I would not change her for anything in the world. Happiness is wanting to drive a thousand miles an hour just to spend five more minutes at home. She is my rock and I lean on her heavily at times. Right now she is leaning on Todd and I am leaning on them from many miles away.  Well, going to close for now. Storm has all but blown over. Since my days have been starting at about 0500 and ending at 2000 or 2100 (8 or 9 for you civilian folks), I am going to bed. May God keep us safe while we are here and keep our families and friends safe over there until we can be reunited once again.

1 comment:

Wilma said...

Very glad to see you up and writing again. May God bless you and all of the family.