Saturday, June 11, 2005

First Leg of the Journey back

As the plane started its decent I gazed out the window at the roof tops of the big houses below, most with two stories and swimming pools. I think one day we will have a beautiful home like that knowing full well that this will also take a new career. The Military has begun to pay better under the newest president but is still not a get rich career.
"Welcome to Dallas Fort Worth Airport" the pilot says.
Good-bye I love you echoes though my head as I walk aimlessly through the airport. The good-byes I see here are not tear-filled and sad like what I was feeling. I imagine myself in their shoes leaving on vacation or a business trip, then I wonder what these people would do if they had to walk in my shoes, I mean boots for a day…It seems that people are not obvilivious to what is going on as they stop us to tell us “thanks for your service and sacrifice". The sacrifice is great but “no greater love hath a man than to lay down his life for his fellow man.”
Hurry up and wait. The tall glass windows of the airport yield sights of the world here, as I try to get my mind set back to the world there. The busy airways and the busy highways bring thoughts and sights of exactly what we fight for. Freedom all to often taken for granted. Thankfully not by all. 18 years of service, will I stay?

No comments: