Saturday, June 11, 2005

Time to go already?

Ever had a day that you wished would never end? I spent two whole weeks feeling just like that. I enjoyed my time at home. My wife’s birthday was the day I arrived. My oldest son graduated from High School with honors and my young son’s birthday was the day before I had to return. What a whirlwind of excitement. Best two weeks of my life I must say.
With the dreaded good-bye only hours away I do some busy work to make time pass. Last night I could not sleep so I wrote a bunch of notes to my family and put them all over the house. Most simply said I love you.
Today I go back.
As I sit on the plane with my heart full of pain I promise that I will never do this to them again, knowing full well that this means a change of career. Heart-ache and loneliness in store for all of us, for how long? I am uncertain. I only hope that their pain subsides long before mine does. I do not want them to be miserable. I tell myself that I can handle it in my own way in due time.
A single tear rolls down my face as we pull away from the gate. The promise I made to my wife and children is one that only God himself can fulfill. I will be back.
I am proud to do what it is that I do but it does not mean that the pain of separation hurts any less.
Part II of the adventure begins

No comments: