Thursday, August 18, 2005

No regrets

Dear Mrs. Sheehan,
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I, too, have lost someone in the war. It saddens me that so many of our young soldiers are dying in the war. I, however, believe that you are not bringing pride and honor to your son’s death. He died doing something that he knew could happen. He signed the paperwork under his own free will.

By questioning the President you are slandering your sons name right along with that of Mr. Bush. I don’t pretend to understand all of the feelings that you are experiencing. I can only imagine what it would be like to lose a child, much less in a war. I can tell you that I do feel your loss as the numbers of soldiers go up.

I have a few questions for you:

One: What is your relationship with God? To question death is to question God. Your relationship with God can and will help you to get over such a great loss. Your son was an Honorable man who fought and eventually gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country. The reason he was in Iraq fighting was so that you could camp out on the highway and voice your opinion. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

Two: What do you hope to achieve by what you are doing? I know that you realize this but let’s just say that you do actually have something that you hope to achieve. I try and think of what you could possibly accomplish. Do you want the soldiers out of Iraq? Is that it? So we pull out and wait? Wait for another terror attack? Maybe this time the terrorists will kill more Americans and people will then, and only then, understand what Mr. Bush is trying to do. Stop it (terrorism) before it gets to bad to stop.

Three: What if you lived in Iraq and were treated by a tyrant as these people were treated? If you lived in Iraq and camped out on the side of the road leading to Sadamns house and protested, you would be dead by weeks end. Instead (of volunteering), your son would have been locked into the military. Then you would have to question why.

Mrs. Sheehan, my name is Jerry Biggerstaff, Jr. I am a soldier deployed to Iraq. The sacrifices that soldiers (may be called upon to) make are a known possibility when we sign the dotted line. You son was an honorable man and will always have a place in my heart.

Good luck talking with the President and I hope that you can see what it is that you are doing. You have successfully pulled the cowards out of the woodwork. Not all, but some of your supporters will not fight for their country, but against it, rather than defend it like OUR forefathers did. It sickens me as a soldier to see what you are doing there, while we do what we do here. This life is but a stepping-stone in the grand plan.

I hope that the sad reality of your son’s death will not continue to overshadow the awesome reality of what he did for his country and the country of Iraq. I believe “Gods Signature” is all over his actions.

Ma’am, I would like to recommend that you pack up and go home and praise God that he gave you a son and allowed you to spend the time you did with him. I will continue to do what I do and hope that you will eventually find your peace and then begin once again to enjoy YOUR FREEDOM.


SSG Jerry P Biggerstaff
Somewhere, Iraq

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay;
All I can say to this one is "Amen!"

PoP

Anonymous said...

BRAVO! Please know that there are many, many people over here that feel the same as you do about this and her. I have been reading your blog, its touching & real & sad, and I just wanted to say thankyou for what you do.