Saturday, August 06, 2005

Quest for Reality

My present feelings are kind of like being in a small backyard with ten foot walls all around. I can hear the commotion outside but don’t know what it is. Upon arrival I did not care what it was but now curiosity has begun to overtake me. I do want to know what it looks like where these people live. I have seen their children as they visit the towers almost daily but where do they live. They say that it is really close to us here but I cannot see it. I do not want to risk harm but I also do not want to stay “locked up” for the rest of time I am here.

While we worked this morning we heard the terror and death from over the wall. The helicopters circled this way and that. There were 6 choppers out this morning and I am quite sure that the news stories tonight will tell the tale of death and destruction and of a hard to find enemy. With all of the BOOMS and WAWOOMS I can almost feel the death toll rise. I cannot remember what the toll was when we arrived but I know that it was far below the 1800 that we have surpassed now. As I think about these soldiers and their families I feel a sense of loss for them but it does not change the fact that I want to see what it is that we are here to defend and give a better way of life. I would just prefer to get on the “Freedom Bird” and head home but the job is not complete yet and home will just have to wait. So I wait and feel the walls close in around me. I tell myself soon, “Soon I will do something to send the walls back to their original size.”

No comments: