Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Stage Two

Stage two.
We towed the truck in to Camp. We checked in made it around through the fuel point and then to the motor pool. Locked them up and headed for some much needed shut eye. Remember I said that I had spent the night at the Airport the night before and if you think I slept on the journey you are crazy. As we traveled things seemed to jump out of the shadows at me making me twitch in my seat. Now it is time to sleep bed can’t wait. Hey this tent is hot what the hell. The air is broken in the tent so we try to sleep in the heat sweating like pigs. We did not have plans to stay here but due to the needed repairs to the vehicle we had to change plans. So there I lay soaked through and through thinking about the activity reported at this place just the night before. Mortars had sent people scrambling for cover. We lay there for a while and then one of the guys came in and said that he had scouted out another tent with A/C. I knew that it was not the right thing to do but did not care; at that point, I just needed to get out of the heat and get some sleep. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out. However shortly after some other soldiers showed up saying that they had signed for the tent and the squatters were kicked to the curb. We went back to the Sauna tent and lay down. By this time the outside temp was probably around 80 degrees and the temp in the tent was around 90 or so. It was hot but sleep was on me and sleep I did…. Next morning good news, It was the power steering pump that had caused such a problem and they had one on the camp and got it fixed. We spent the day lounging around. The other two guys in the tent with me slept most of the morning.(they work night shift) I was up at the crack of down and after smelling myself headed for a shower, then to the MWR to watch a movie. This was a tent with the A/C blowing full force. I lay across about 6 chairs and it was not long till I was out. I woke up in time to catch the last of Ghost the movie that was starting as I lay down. I checked in at the tent and found that the other guy’s tent had A/C so I pulled my mattress out of the hot tent and put it on the floor in the other tent. There were three mattresses on the floor of the tent when it was all said and done as the other two guys followed suit. We knapped away most of the afternoon into the early evening then it was Go time once again.

No comments: