Friday, July 22, 2005

The Combat Patch

Today I had to take the rest of the soldiers uniforms to the cleaners to have the "Patches" sewn on. The patch of which I speak is the combat patch. This patch is awarded a soldier serving in a combat zone for a certain period of time. Some soldiers spend there entire careers without even getting one. It seems today that most soldiers will have one before they have ten years of service. There are several patches that can be worn. The Unit patch on the opposite side of the uniform can be worn as a combat patch or the unit to which you are attached to may be worn. One of the "big guys" in our brigade decided to make a rule that everyone knew was not right and could not be enforced. He put it out that no one was allowed to wear any patch other than the unit patch. This made alot of soldiers mad and then did not sew a patch on their uniforms. Some did as we felt as if we were being forced to do so. Don't get me wrong I have utmost respect for the division to which I am assigned but Do not like the fact that this Patch is being shoved down my throatt. I decided that if he did force us to sew this on I would not wear a combat patch at all. Well some one decided to complain and complain big. Next thing you know the order was resinded and now we are authorized to wear whatever patch we want. So I have returned back to the idea that I would sew on 2 and 2 on my 4 sets of uniforms. This shows respect for both units, the one I am assigned to and the one we support. Seems kind of petty as it is just a patch but it seems that the petty things mean so much when you have nothing else to think about.

No comments: