Monday, July 25, 2005

Fact or Fiction You decide cause I believe

I do love to fish. I have spent numerous hours fishing when time permits. The fish here are strange. They have some seriously strange fish. There are lots of carp but the ones that I am talking about have the heads of a catfish and the tail of an eel. Okay not too exciting. The interpreters tell stories of horror surrounding the goings on before our occupation. It has been told by several people about Sadamns sons house. This house is down the street and around the corner. Well it was a house now it is a couple of walls with holes throughout. Hooah USA. Local people have told us that on the back porch the son kept a chipper. The ones that are used for cutting up tree branched into mulch. When a person was murdered or killed for whatever sick reason their bodies were loaded into the chipper. The chipper faced the water so the remains were sent out into the water. The fish here do not much care for bait. They biggest fish are caught here with steak from the mess hall and raw steak works the best. We also fish with slim jim beef jerky sticks. I did not know why the fish did not like lures or bait until I was told this story. Now I refuse to fish here for I do not know what I am pulling out of the water and have no desire to touch a fish to remove it from my hook.

Another fact or fiction story told by an Iraqi woman interpretter is the story of Sadamns second wife. Sadamn had a servant woman who thought that Sadamn might like one of her friends. So she introduced them. Soon after Sadamn took her as his second wife. This infuriated the son. There was a party at his house which the servant was working. The son took the woman outside and beat her to death for the introduction. I after being here for the time I have do not doubt that these stories are true. The sickness of this family is over and now I pray that these people will come out and live on their own and one day learn to defend themselves instead of hiding in fear.

No comments: