Friday, July 08, 2005

Sacrifice

As I sit here in the dark I wonder what I would know about sacrifice if I had not joined the military. Would I be one of the numerous people living in a free country protesting the war? Would I take my freedoms for granted as so many people do today? It seems that there are more people protesting in the northern states than in the southern states. Why is that do you suppose? I try to think of the sacrifices that these people could have possible made and cannot come up with any good ones. Sacrifice, giving up something without the desire to do so but in an effort to make something better. My definition. Is this definition defined by my life in the military or my upbringing and life experience? I can only remember a few sacrifices in my life prior to the military. My dad traveled quite a bit and this was a big sacrifice. I think his sacrifice fits my definition. Is this the only major sacrifice I would ever experience had I not enlisted? Now in 11th month of this deployment and our 6 month of being here I know that this sacrifice is one worthy of all that it entails. I have come to the conclusion that this is my life and will be for another 12 years till my retirement. I can handle all that is thrown at me because it has been tough here and if this can be handled then anything can. I sit and wait for the lights to come back on under a water shortage that is still in effect and think what it must be like on the other side of the wall. I am glad that I did not grow up here and that my kids will grow up in a free land governed by someone that WE the people put in office. In the past some bad people have been chosen to some of these offices but today I think that we as a country do a better job selecting who will run our country. Finally lights and back to work.

No comments: