Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Bull by the Horns

Bull by the Horns
I feel like I am in a different world. My Family seems so far away. I will feel out of place for the majority of my coming days off. It will not be until I return to my unit that I will feel at home. It is a strange kind of reality check. I feel more at home here than in the home that my family and I built. What is the deal? The only contact with home is email or phone. There is no sense of touch in these types of conversations. I listen attentively but it is as if I cannot get satisfied. I just want to jump head- first back into my old life. Sometimes the depression makes one forget about what it is they are here for. The thought of death is overpowering at times but we must battle on and show no weakness. I have a friend who used to ride bulls for a living in fact he was a world champion. They say a bull can sense fear and weakness. He had to overcome any weakness and fear, like we have to. To me he is a real soldier. Most Fridays or Saturdays he would do battle with a ton or so of unpredictable rage. We as soldiers in the military are preparing to do battle with a country full of rage. As he willing mounts this bull he prepares for the upcoming battle and shows no fear. The preparation of a soldier is much the same. Repetition and practice will help to hang on whether it be for 8 seconds or for one year. The practice pays off whether they pin an award on your chest or give you the gold buckle or whether you just get back home in one piece. All are proud. I salute the soldiers in whatever career field they choose, and pray for a safe and short battle.

No comments: