Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Hum Drum

HUM DRUM
The daily humdrum is becoming quite the norm. Get up go for a run if the urge hits me, then chow, then work frantically, look up and it is lunch time. Eat back to work and then before I know it is chow time once again. I have not been hungry since I have been here but always seem to make it to the chow hall for meals. I do not think I have gained any weight but I have not been checking. Just wondering what is in store for me when I return home. I have some decisions to make. I am close to retirement as a weekend warrior. I can retire in late 2008 but if I do I cannot collect a retirement check from the military until I reach the age of 60. I could stay in and in 14 or so years I can retire active duty and collect a retirement check almost immediately. In those 14 years this deployment could be the norm. If I stay I figure I have at least 3 more before I through. Do I really want to spend that much time away from family? If I do not stay can I find a job that will support my family like the military does? One of the guys we replaced here said his wife was leaving him when he returned. She told him that she did not join the military He did. My wife is not like that but will she be if I have to do this several more times. I don’t know I do know however that she wants me to re-evaluate my chosen career. What does this mean? Does she want me to leave a job that I have had for almost half of my life? I cannot say that I have ever enjoyed this job but I can say that it is one that will put my first son through college and quite possible my second son as well. As for re-evaluation I will but I feel as if I already know the answer, I just am not ready to admit it or tell my wife that the military has become my life. I will learn to like what I do I will just have to get into the job that suits me. Supply is for the birds. Always worried always stressed always asked to do things that are not in my lane.

No comments: