Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Real Mission

Real Mission
As I sit here in total comfort I cannot help but have a sense of sorrow for some of my fellow soldiers. These soldiers have been tasked to do other missions. They sleep where they can and always have to watch their backs. These soldiers have a real mission. We too have a mission but it just seems so minor in comparison. In some ways I wish that I were there with them. The desires to leave the confines of the wall have become ever apparent in my day-to-day life. I want to see the real Iraq and not some base made by the soldiers and contractors. I want to know how life is on the outside and wonder if I will ever get that chance. It has been about two months now and I feel like an animal caged or an inmate. I want to go and see it. I hear the stories of the soldiers who on a daily basis venture outside the wire and wish I could be there. Some soldiers have been fired on. Is it worth the risk to go out, sometimes I think yes and sometimes no. The curiosity will bother me until I either venture out or come to grips with the fact that this is not my mission. I do not want to put myself at risk but I do want to know what happens outside the wire.

No comments: