Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Outside the Wire

Outside the Wire
In our minds the wire is the safe zone, yet many will have to venture outside the wire. The wire is no more that the outskirts of the base. It must be guarded or it could be compromised. Today in training we dared to venture outside the wire. It was just to pick-up some supplies necessary for the mission. As I locked and loaded my M4 I could not help but feel some sense of excitement and fear. To me the training is being conducted in country. This is the real thing. I hope to never have to make a trip outside the wire but have been told that at a minimum I will once a month. Will these trips yield death? The death of a fellow soldier seems as if it would hurt worse than my own. Is this what hero’s are made of. Is this what they think when their heroic act is performed? Could I protect the soldiers who I told I would bring home, would it cost me my life to carry out my promise? I will not put any of my soldiers in harms way I will be the one to make the trip outside the wire.

No comments: