Sunday, April 10, 2005

Life-time Realization


Lifetime Realization
Getting married entirely too young I found myself madly in love but wanting to be a kid too. I was 18 when I met the most awesome girl. She was beautiful. The day we met I was working at Wal-mart and attending college in Odessa. I was outside of the store when her and a mutual friend entered the store. I had decided earlier in my life that I was not meant to have a beautiful girlfriend or wife and that I would have to settle for what I was given. I held the door open for her as she entered and said “Hello”. I may have thought that beautiful girls were not for me but I was not afraid to talk to them. Within the next couple of days the mutual friend had a party at her house and we were both invited. As a friend and I walked up to the party I remember seeing a 1972 Dodge Challenger in the parking lot. I remember telling my friend that I would give anything to drive a car like that. As we entered the party I saw her again. This time she had a glow about her. I checked my glasses to make sure that they were not dirty. They were not and the glow would not go away. Her eyes, her smile, her hair, and her shape, everything about her was perfect. Later on she was sitting on the back of the couch, which was close to the kitchen table where they were playing games. I approached and asked,“Is this seat taken”. There was just enough room beside her for me to sit down. I remember her perfume. It was like a gust of spring on a hot summer day. “Man she smells good’, I thought. We sat and laughed and talked and then a guy came and asked me to move. I did because again I thought that I was not meant to have a woman as perfect as she was. After awhile someone started causing problems and the party started to break up. I was sitting on the couch waiting for my friend to come back when I saw her out of the corner of my eye. I turned and we made eye contact. She waved me over. I was unsure if she was waving to me so I quickly checked over my shoulder. No one else in the room she must mean me I thought. I got up and went to her and she asked if I wanted to go for a ride. I said “Sure”. Momma did not raise no fool. As we walked down the stairs and through the parking lot she asked me if I wanted to drive. I said, “Sure, which car is yours.” The blue one she said. Yes you guessed it. It was the Challenger. I think a God, who I had not spoken to most of my young life, put this night together. My family and I did attend church but it was a forced to deal and I never really paid attention or under-stood. I started the car and turned on the headlights. Playing right in front of the car was a west Texas jackrabbit. I pointed it out to her. We drove around and talked for a while and really hit it off. When we returned and I turned into the parking space we saw two rabbits. Back then I thought of this as just neat but now I think it was an early sign of future things. This was the most awesome night of my life. We have been married for some 15 years and I still look upon her as beautiful and she still has the beautiful eyes, hair and shape. I still have the scrap of paper she wrote her phone number on and still know the number by heart. These things can cause a soldier so far away from home to either be really depressed or really happy. I, myself can say that I have something special to go home to and cannot wait until that day comes.

No comments: